Baked Apple Chips

Oct 15, 2012



There are tons of easy homemade snack recipes out there. The problem is that many of them take forever, aren't terribly nutritious, or the kids in your life won't eat them. Have you ever peeled a can of garbanzo beans and roasted them only to have your child turn up their nose and not try A Single One? Ever make a kid cry insisting she at least try a kale chip? Ever spent over an hour cutting out shapes from dough made of cheese in order for the final product to be chewed and spit out?

Just me...

Well, this snack is easy, very nutritious, and if your child won't eat them she may be an alien.

Just saying.

These baked apple chips are fantastic. My one year old ate a full apple today and my 4 year old chose them for "dessert."

Ingredients

Golden Delicious apples *
Sugar
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Slice apples on mandolin. If you can get apples sliced super thin with a knife, go for it, but I know my limitations. I don't have an apple corer so I don't core my apples. If the inner core is hard I will cut it out of individual slices with a paring knife, but you'll find that it is unnecessary. Place apple slices on prepared baking sheets being careful not to overlap apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake for 1 hour. Turn apples over and bake for another hour. After second hour of baking turn the oven off and let apples cool in the oven. This is where they become crisp, so don't get discouraged before they have sat in the oven and cooled completely.



* I use Golden Delicious apples because they have enough sweetness but are a tad tart and have a great texture. Because the flavors really concentrate Granny Smiths become too sour for my taste. A sweeter apple would also be great.

Bryn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.