Happy Cinco de Mayo Week!

Apr 30, 2012



And what better way to start celebrating Cinco De Mayo Week than with a margarita!  But not just any margarita ... one you make from scratch, using no bottle mix.  Have you ever read the ingredient list on the bottle of margarita mix, um, yuck.  And this recipe is soo easy, you'll never go back!

When I was thinking about writing this post, I was trying to remember when my love affair with the margarita started.  But I couldn't remember.  Possibly too many margaritas?  Maybe I am just getting old.  I do remember my first margarita though.

It was in college.  And it wasn't so much a margarita as it was, um, a college experience.

The details are a bit fuzzy, but my roommate and I were wandering the dorm halls, I think it was the week before classes started.   We stopped into a room party.  In this room party, they were doing upside down margaritas. 

I was a good girl. 

A good girl who had no idea what the hell an upside down margarita was. 

But I was totally in. 

It was the first week of college after all.  We were ready for fun.  And the only advice my roommate's dad had given her on college drinking was "Don't drink anything that comes out of a garbage can".  (As a side note, I would add to that, Don't drink anything that comes out of a bath tub either).  And there were no trash cans in sight. 

So, I sit in a chair, tilt my head up side down and someone basically pours tequila and margarita mix in my mouth and tells me to shake my head.  Alright then.  Was it good?  Uh, probably not.  Truth is, I don't remember.

But somewhere between then and now, I have learned to love this drink in it's rightside up variety.  It reminds me of Jimmy Buffett, sandy beaches, and vacation.  Three things I love and can't get enough of. 

Try this recipe, you won't be disappointed!

Homemade Margaritas, on the rocks

Recipe:

Simple Syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water

Other ingredients:
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (this is a lot of limes ... like 10 or so)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Silver Tequila (depending on how much of a punch you are looking for)
1/2 cup cointreau (yes, it's expensive, yes, it's worth it)
Directions:

Heat water and sugar in saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Water should be clear.  Pour into pitcher and let cool.

While cooling, start squeezing your limes.  This might take awhile.  And take a tremendous amount of hand strength.



Once the simple syrup is cool,  add lime juice, tequila, and cointreau to pitcher and chill.  Once cold, serve over ice and enjoy!  This makes about 4 margaritas. 



Hallie



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.