Healthified Treats ... are they worth it??

Apr 25, 2012

Well, I think I would answer that question with one word ... Sometimes.  There are some treats that you can switch out a few ingredients and end up some something wonderful.  Bryn is going to share a treat she makes with a can of pumpkin that is totally delicious and well worth the switch.  The treats I attempted to make today, were not really worth it.

I had such high hopes.  But when I did the math, I should have known better.  By making this switch, I would have saved 215 calories and 66.5 grams of fat in one pan of brownies. 

Holy Cow!  I could eat the whole pan and not feel guilty. 

Well, maybe not the whole pan. 

But half, definitely half.

Not only would I be saving all that fat and calories, but I would be adding 24.5 grams of Fiber and 24.5 grams of Protein.

Sounds to good to be true, right?

Yea, I should have know, but I was blinded by the chocolate.  And that half pan of brownies I was going to enjoy all to myself.

Anyone guessed the mystery ingredient yet?

INSERT PICTURE

Black Beans!

It is all over the web.  People are raving about black bean brownies.  You would think they were better than sliced bread when you read some of these posts.  So I had to try them.  I was blinded by the numbers, what a great switch this could be. 

Here are the contenders:

In this corner, we have Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix and a can of black beans.



In this corner, we have Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix, plus egg, plus oil, and water.

 
For the black bean version, you puree the black beans (after they have been rinsed and drained) with a can of water in the food processor. 


You end up with a chocolate looking liquid.  So far so good.  The only other thing you do is mix your bean puree with the brownie mix.  That is it.  Pour it in the pan. 

I prepared the control group per the box instructions with the oil, water, and egg.  Pour it in the pan and bake.

The difference is noticeable as soon as you take them out of the oven.



On the right is the traditionally prepared version.  On the left, the black bean version.



This is hubby's blind taste taste plate.  His exact words about sample B (the black bean version), "These are some weird low fat version, right?"  He did not care for them.  Now sometimes, he can be picky.  And sometimes, when he knows I have been goofing around with stuff in the kitchen, he has his guard up too high.  So I scoff at his opinion at first.  Let me try, I think.  I mean, people on the web are crazy about these things!  And we all know that people on the web are always right, right?  So, I try.  And well, bust.  I didn't even finish my little piece.  Yuck.  The kids, one of whom will eat anything, and I do mean anything chocolate, would not eat them. 

Have you tried these with any success? 

I am always looking for ways to make things healthier, but it still has to taste good and this one unfortunately fails. 

Heard of any other weird substitutes you would like us to try?  We'd love to hear about them!  For now, I am back to just switching to applesauce in the brownies.

Hallie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.