FFF: My First Yoga Experience

Jun 8, 2012


I have been looking for a cross training activity for awhile.  When I took up running, I did not renew my gym membership.  Seemed like a waste since I could either run outside or at home on our treadmill.  But that has left my cross training activities fairly limited.  No elliptical at my disposal.  No swimming pool to swim laps.  I don't own a bicycle.  Hmm, I was stuck. 

Someone suggested Yoga. 

I was up for trying anything. 

I rented a DVD from the library. 

Just a random one.

Bad idea.

Thankfully, I didn't injure myself, though that was probably only because I quit after about 15 minutes.  It was way above my head and it certainly didn't feel right. 

I needed an actual class.

So I found a studio that was offering a 4 week "Beginners" course.  Just once a week for the four weeks.  $40.  I was in.  I really like the idea of it being a Beginners class - I get intimidated easily.

Especially after that DVD.  Yikes, I was a beginner if I had ever seen one.

My only experience with Yoga other than that has been the Wii.  Dude, I could rock the warrior pose on the Wii.  (Little did I know, but would soon find out, pretty much I was cheating while doing it).

So, Monday, off I went to class.

I was a little nervous, but thankfully there was no need.  There were only 6 people in my class.  The instructor was awesome.  And everyone was a beginner.

I loved every second of it.  Here is what I loved ....

I actually, successfully, shut my brain off for an hour. 

See, I have this problem.  I can't ever shut off my mind.  I am constantly thinking of something.  Making lists in my head of all the things that need to be done tomorrow, what are we having for dinner this week, have I talked to my mom recently, #2 is almost out of diapers, why hasn't the swim instructor called me back ... you get the idea.  It never, ever stops.  I lay down for bed at night and my brain just swirls with random thoughts.  Did I take the laundry out of the dryer?  Did I pay the water bill?  Is it too cold in here for the kids tonight?  It drives me crazy and I rarely get a brake from the obnoxiousness of it.

Until Monday.

The concentrating on the breathing, the peacefulness of the class, the focus on making your body conform to this specific pose.  It was all I thought about for 55 minutes. 

Sadly, the last 5 minutes of class, you literally lay down for 5 minutes.  Corpse pose she called it.  I dont' know if she was serious or kidding that it was really called that.  At that point, the brain right back up then - I didn't really like that part, but for 55 minutes, it was awesome. 

I am excited for next week to learn more. 

Namaste,

Hallie

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad that you gave Yoga a second chance! At times, it is good to do this with a qualified instructor. A yoga instructor can guide you in making the right poses and stance. Also, it is fun to be with a group. It can boost your confidence, and you can have additional social support. Hope that you can learn more from the class. Namaste!

    ReplyDelete

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.