Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles

Jun 19, 2012

I was inspired by this post at Bakers Royale.  And in all truthfulness, set out to recreate these exact popsicles.

Then Target got in the way.

I went there to get the ingredients.  And really nothing else. 

I mentioned I was going to Target, right?

Yeah, the last time I got out of Target with only what I went in to get was ... well ... Never.

So, I get there, leaving my list at home, bought a whole bunch of stuff that I am sure that I needed .. wink wink nod nod ... (that's for the hubby) and couldn't remember what the heck the white layer was for the popsicles. 

So I decided on vanilla Jell-o. 

Which turns out, isn't actually white, it is sorta, well, the color of vanilla. 

The actual white layer was supposed to be yogurt, which would have made these healthier, but they turned out good nonetheless.

So, let's get to it.  Here is what you need:


A Quart of Strawberries
About 12 Vanilla Oreos
Vanilla Pudding or Yogurt ... I think the yogurt version would be really good too!
Milk to make the pudding
Dixie cups or some sort of popsicle mold

The assembly is pretty easy:

Throw the Oreos into the Ninja.


Pulse.


Alternatively, if you need to get some aggression out, you can put them in a zip lock back and whack the heck out of them with your rolling pin.  Always a fun activity.

Make the pudding as directed on the package.  I took no pictures of this step.  Sorry.  I was too busy whisking my arm off.  Also, why does whisk have an 'H' in it?  I always misspell that word.

Put cookie crumbs in with pudding and stir.


I poured the mixture into this handy dandy measuring cup so that it would pour easier into the popsicle molds.  I highly recommend it.

Now fill your molds aprox. 1/3 of the way full.


Now, let's stop right her a minute.  First, you need to be using a way smaller cup than this.  The popsicles that came out of here were monsters.  Way to big, even for adults.  So make sure you are using smaller molds.  These were 9 oz. cups and I didn't fill them up all the way.  Use at largest the 5 oz ones, or even smaller really would be ok.  Second, to get the pretty layers from the original link, you have to freeze each layer, at least partially, individually.

Patience is not one of the virtues that I have picked up in my 30 plus years on this planet. 

But, I tried it anyway.

Froze the first layer for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile ...

Wash, trim, and pulse your strawberries:



I used very ripe strawberries.  If yours are not so ripe, you might add some sugar.  When your 30 minutes is up, distribute the strawberry layer evenly between your cups.  I used 6 cups and put aprox. 1/4 cup of the strawberries in each cup.



Then freeze and wait another 30 minutes.

Finally, add final layer of pudding.



Unfortunately, what happened was, 30 minutes was not enough.  The pudding sunk into the strawberries.  Ooops.  So, I just swirled.



If you want completely separate layers, I would recommend at least an hour between layers.


And there you have it, Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles!  (Please ignore all the stuffed animals on the floor, I was in a hurry, and apparently, the animals are taking over the house)

I told you they were monsters!

But, as #2 said, "Mmm, Tasty".

Hallie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.