American Flag Suncatcher

Jul 3, 2012




When I saw this craft at Kaboose, I knew this is my kind of craft.

 I love the monotony of it, the repeatedness of it.

That it takes some time and that you have to follow a pattern.

I'm weird, I know. 

Unfortunately, the exact reasons I loved it, are the reasons my two year old left the table and went on to destroy the house while #1 and I were finishing up.

This is definitely a craft for a little bit older child. 

Here is what you need:

Straw (if you have a Diet Coke habit like I do, this is a great excuse to hit up McDonald's for a large Diet Coke for $1.00 and ask for extra straws!)
Red, White or Clear, and Blue Beads
Rexlace (cord for stringing)
Glue Gun
scissors
pattern (available at Kaboose)

Start with these:


Well, actually, we started here:



And #2 and I separated out all the red, clear and blues.  This was by far her favorite part of the craft.  She loved it.  And I can sleep better at night know that she really does know all her colors! :)

Next, cut out your individual pieces of cord.  You will need 12 pieces.  Kaboose says to cut them 10 inches long, but I cut mine 12, and I still had a bit of a hard time getting a knot in it.  So I would highly recommend going 12 inches.  Take your first piece of cord and fold it over top of the straw, so that it is looped over; the front half in front, the bottom half behind.

Start stringing your beads now.  You want to string the beads over BOTH pieces of cord.  The pattern for the first 6 rows is 6 blue followed by red, white, red, white, red, white, red.  Tie a knot at the end of the last bead.  I looped back through the bottom bead and then tied a knot.  When you are all finished, we will hot glue the knot to make sure it is secure.



Continue on with this pattern.  Once you reach this point below, take a snack break!


Now it is time for just the red white strands.  Once you complete 6 red white strands, get out the hot glue gun and dab just a little on each knot.  Allow to dry.  Trim excess cord off.  Then trim the straw and string a piece of the cord through the straw and tie the two ends together.  You can use a suction cup if you have one to stick it to the window or just hang it like we did.





#1 loved this craft.  She apparently enjoys monotony too!

Hallie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.