Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Aug 6, 2012

"The Princess" won't eat eggs or cheese, which leaves healthy breakfast options pretty limited. Oatmeal, whole wheat toast, whole grain low sugar cereal...it gets very repetitive. She would, of course, eat waffles or pancakes every single day if I let her. While I would love to whip her up pancakes or waffles on demand, that's just not always an option. Store bought boxed versions are certainly easier, but I would prefer not to give them to her. Making homemade pancakes and waffles is so easy and doubling your batch and freezing the leftovers makes for a super easy breakfast. Also, by making them myself I can control the ingredients.




I generally try different recipes each time I make a batch of pancakes or waffles. This allows for some variety and also allows me to work in healthy additions like bananas, applesauce, etc. I always use whole wheat flour for at least a portion of the flour called for if the recipe I select doesn't already call for it. For this pancake I wanted to use pumpkin, so I searched and found a recipe I thought would work.

I started with the basic ingredients and made changes that would better suit my family. It would be great if The Princess would eat flaxseed in her pancakes, but I know that if the texture is the slightest bit grainy, she won't eat it. I would rather not add it than throw a whole bunch of pancakes out. She has no idea that it's added to her muffins , and that works fine for us. I also added maple extract and I added more chocolate chips (really, 2 tblsp?!?!?). The following recipe makes about 12-14 4" pancakes. I doubled the following recipe to allow for lots of leftovers.



1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract

Thoroughly mix flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips (Walmart of course didn't have the mini chips, so I used regular and chopped them).




In a separate bowl beat eggs and then add milk, pumpkin, and extracts. Whisk until smooth.
Pour liquid ingredients over dry and mix until just combined. There will be lumps.

It's ok.

Move on.

Lightly oil skillet and place over medium high. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot skillet to form each pancake. Once bubbles begin to appear and the bottom is golden brown flip and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes.



I was a little alarmed when I turned one of the pancakes over to find a huge burned spot...then I remembered the chocolate chips and all was right with the world again.

To freeze leftovers I allow the pancakes to cool completely then I place in a freezer bag with wax or parchment paper between the layers. To reheat, I wrap in paper towel before placing in microwave to absorb any moisture. I heat for 30 seconds and then 15 second increments after that. Enjoy.

Bryn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.