2 Ingredient Cake: Greek Yogurt

Jul 12, 2012

Chocolatey Yogurt Cake

If you want to see an amazingly hilarious face, give a four year old a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt. Seriously. Hilarious.

I'm not sure why, but sour cream really makes me gag. Maybe the name? The smell? Ugh. In college I started using plain yogurt in place of sour cream for foods that needed a topping, such as baked potatoes or nachos. Plain yogurt worked perfectly fine as a substitute, but Greek yogurt is even better. I never would have thought to use Greek yogurt in a cake recipe, but luckily Hungry Girl did just that.

For our second 2 ingredient cake, I used Devils Food cake mix and Greek yogurt. Combine the cake mix with 1 cup of yogurt and 1 cup of water. Whisk together to combine. Bake according to package directions. Again, I made cupcakes and an 8" cake in order to compare.



The batter came together very easily and reminded me of a mousse or a bit like melted marshmallows.


I was surprised when I pulled them from the oven by how much the batter had expanded. The cupcakes were super high...even higher than usual. I had expected more of a compact cupcake because I assumed the weight of the yogurt would prevent a full rise. You know what they say about assumptions..
I had leftover yogurt so I mixed it with powdered sugar to make a glaze. Tasty.



Overall, the cake and cupcakes were super good. Very very moist and rich. My husband said he preferred them to the regular boxed mix treats. He said they tasted homemade and The Princess said that they tasted "yum."

These will be made over and over in our house. I highly recommend.

Bryn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.