Fried Pickles

Jul 16, 2012



Have I mentioned yet that I am a Parrot Head?

Y'all know what that means, right?

What does that have to do with a post about Fried Pickles? 

The first place I ever had fried pickles was at a Margaritaville restaurant. 

As a side note, as big a Jimmy Buffett fan as I am, I am just the opposite of the Margaritaville chain of restaurants.  It really does pain me to say that.  Give me a Jimmy Buffett concert any day and I am in heaven with my margaritas, but the restaurant, well, it's just another chain.  Just because you slap Jimmy's name on it, doesn't mean it is going to be good ... well, with the exception of the fried pickles!

The fried pickles were delicious.  Ever since having them there, I have wanted to make them at home.

Except I am scared to death of frying anything. 

I am terrified that I will get burned by the grease.  I have no idea why this is.

Other than the only time I have ever tried to use a grill, well, I burned my arm hair off. 

And once, maybe twice, I started a fire in the oven.

But that really wasn't a cooking related incident as much as it was a stupidity related incident.

I had put a pizza box in the oven ... you know ... to clean up ... (don't judge) ... and forgot about it.

Then preheated the oven for dinner the next night.

Opened the oven door and ...

FIERY INFERNO!

I did the only rational thing I could think of. 

Called hubby at work.

What?!?!?

Yeah, I don't know what I expected him to do, but that is what I did.

Eventually I grabbed the pizza box out of the oven with an oven mitt and threw it out the back door on the patio and then got out of the house.  There were no children or animals harmed during this time ;)

What was my point?  Oh, yes, afraid of frying stuff.  So when I saw this recipe that baked the pickles, I was excited.

Oven Fried Pickles
From:  The Culinary Couple

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp tabasco
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1 jar pickle slices (I used the oval slices)
  • Ranch dressing
Turn oven to broil and spray a cooking rack with cooking spray.  Place cooking rack on top of baking sheet to catch drips. 

Whisk together eggs and flour. Add worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and pepper. Mix well.

Place Panko on a small plate or dish.

Dunk each pickle slice into the egg mixture, than dredge it in the bread crumbs.




Place pickles on a rack.  Put pann in the middle rack of the oven. Broil for about 3 minutes and then flip each slice and broil 3 more minutes. 



We like to serve these with ranch dressing.

This makes a ton and well, we ate them all!

Try them tonight!  Enjoy a cold beer, some Jimmy Buffett tunes, and no grease fires!

Hallie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.